What is FoodCycle?
FoodCycle is a national charity with 29 projects running across the UK. Our mission is to turn surplus food into tasty nutritious meals. We hope by doing so we can create a double effect, reducing food waste and tackling both food poverty and social isolation. We believe this is vitally important. It is estimated that 15 million tonnes of food are wasted in Britain each year and over 4 million people are suffering in food poverty.
Opening early in 2016, FoodCycle Exeter is now running weekly events at Wonford Community Centre. Every Tuesday, our volunteers collect food donated by supermarkets in collaboration with Exeter Food Action. The volunteers then use their most creative culinary skills to create a three course meal, served to local residents. There is something that unites all when sharing delicious food and that is certainly true at our Hub! The atmosphere is always full of enthusiasm and there is a great sense of community between both guests and volunteers.
Where will the money go?
Supporting this project will help to ensure we can carry on providing free weekly meals for people who really benefit from them. In order to operate and be sustainable, every FoodCycle Hub across the country is asked to raise £2,500 in the community. This money goes to FoodCycle to support all of the associated costs of running a project; everything from the cost of hiring the venue, reimbursing volunteer travel expenses, buying extra ingredients, providing training for our volunteers, and much more besides! Our own costs include the hire of the community centre, volunteer travel expenses, equipment costs, training and any extra ingredients needed to put together a tasty meal. Your donation will be greatly appreciated and even a small amount will go a long way...
- A £5 donation could cover the cost of a volunteer's travel expenses for a session - meaning that no one is prevented from coming to a session due to financial hardship.
- A £10 donation could cover all the extra ingredients needed for a session to make the meal as healthy and nutritious as possible.
- A £26 donation could cover the cost of renting out the kitchen space for a week to allow us to cook for vulnerable people in our area.
- A donation of £104 could fund the community centre rent for one month!
- We really appreciate any donation you can give, so we have lots of foodie prizes to say a big thank you to you all, ranging from badges to aprons to a full meal for 20 people!!
Stay in touch!
Follow us to find out how we're doing or get involved yourself!
Help us succeed!
- You don't need to give money to help us succeed! Please share this project with anyone you think would support us – on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, by email, telephone, in a chat over the fence or on your blog. Sign up as a helper and you can share your own unique URL with your network!
- We are also always eager for new volunteers! If you would like to get involved and hands on, contact us either by social media, email or sign up online at: http://my.foodcycle.org.uk/hub/exeter-hub
- And we know we said you don't need to give money to help us, but we'd love it if you did! Please sponsor us and help make this happen.
Have you sponsored this project? If so, log in to comment on updates!
The project creator has not yet posted any updates yet.
generated 103 clicks and donated £10.00
generated 98 clicks
generated 93 clicks
generated 85 clicks
generated 76 clicks and donated
generated 66 clicks and donated
signed up to help
8 anonymous donations totalling £335.00